Sunday 23 December 2012

ALIQUANDO


ALIQUANDO!
Aliquando!
As the journey went to and fro
Pilgrims trying to keep up their steps
And the bookworms not missing their preps
At that time where was my place

Aliquando!
When comers would have to go
Mourners weeping out their eyes
And nothing seeming to stop the cries
At that time how was my face

Aliquando!
When the spark started to glow
The cock began to crow
And ‘twas time for me to grow
At that time I began my days

Aliquando!
As the child would have to grow
Not needing lullaby for sleep
And listening ready to creep
At that time I woke from daze

Aliquando!
When your ground you would hoe
Without one helping you
And crops must come anew
At that time I had my hays

Alliquando!
As it is time to go
But I speak of time now
With so much crossing my brow
At this time I know my ways

Aliquando!
Do you want to know?
It’s once upon a time
And told story of a clime
At that time I would’ve had my place

Aliquando!
As it’s seven days to go
Aye seven to one
The one I was born
At these times they are my days

          Orjiebele Malachy (Ibadan, March 13, 2012 – A  day after Chieme left)

No comments:

Post a Comment